Thursday, May 10, 2007

A Time to Sow; A Time to Reap

Amara doesn't quite understand the difference.

Jon had softball tonight, and I decided it was such a beautiful night that I'd rather work outside than inside. Since when I started, it was earlier than the kids' bedtime, I took them outside with me.

I bought some petunias and marigolds that I thought I'd plant; nice hardy flowers that I can be inattentive to and they'll still do well. I got out my shovel to dig their trenches and Amara wanted to help her. She wanted the "green" shovel. The green shovel is the trowel -- perfect for Amara.

I started digging. She started digging.
Problem: She was digging the loose dirt back into the hole.

Not too big of a problem -- I had a bigger shovel and was much faster than her. Digging complete. Time to plant flowers.

Bigger problem: Amara prefers to pick flowers. Specifically, she likes to pick the flower heads. Even more problematic, she likes to pick them out of their little individual cells. *sigh*

There are now little flower heads all over the sidewalk.

Definitely bedtime. I finished the flowers after the kids went to bed. Hopefully the headless flowers will rebloom -- they should. Next year maybe she'll be a little more helpful! Regardless, it was a fun evening. She really enjoys helping -- even if it's more helpful in her eyes than mine.

No comments: