Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Oswald

Today when I picked up Amara at day care, they were watching, "Oswald" (from the channel Noggin). I groaned inwardly.

I'm not a fan of Oswald.

Now if you look at reviews, he's this gentle little blue octopus who has to enlist his problem solving skills in every episode. That's one thing I do like about Noggin -- all the shows are definitely educational. Unless it's Oswald, I don't have a problem with my kids watching Noggin.

But Oswald... well... his favorite phrase is "Oh my gosh!"

One day (before I grew to dislike Oswald), the kids were watching him as I was getting the meal ready. I wasn't really paying attention to the dialog. However, I was suddenly aware that the phrase "Oh my gosh" penetrated my cooking thoughts WAY too often. Not that this is the worst phrase to use in the world -- but I also don't want to hear the kids saying it. Absolutely unnecessary to add to a kids' show -- I just don't get it.

Anyway... onto today (sorry for the mini-rant).

I picked Amara up. They're watching "Oswald." Amara comes running up to me and the teachers are sitting at a nearby table within earshot. Amara says, "Look Mommy. We're watching Oswald. But you don't like Oswald, do you?"

What could I say but, "No babe, Mommy doesn't like Oswald."

I know the teachers overheard.... maybe it will make them think about that choice in shows. Maybe it will be a topic of conversation at a later date... Oswald is written for 3 year olds, so the teachers are certainly not out of line for showing it. But I'm guessing there are more than a few households who don't allow that show to be watched...

And here this started to be a post about Amara repeating everything she hears! :)

No comments: