Tonight as I was tucking Amara in, I did our normal routine: book, prayers, then sing, "Children of the Heavenly Father" and "Jesus Loves Me."
I was mid-hug and Amara said to me, "Will you sing me the Amara song? Grandma sang me the Amara song."
I asked, "What?" I was thinking my Mom and Dad were nuts for singing the "A-M-A-R-A" song (as sung to the tune of "The B-I-B-L-E") to her at bedtime, because it's so upbeat!
It then clicked, and I realized she probably said "Grandpa" not "Grandma," so I asked her to repeat who it was that sang her the song. She confirmed that it was Grandpa. Already knowing how it went (because technically it's the "Sarah" song), I asked her "How does it go?"
In her sweet little voice, she sang, "I yub my wittle Amara...."
Sure enough... the beloved "Sarah" song.
I told her, "Of course I know that song. Grandpa used to sing it to me when I was a little girl." So I started singing it to her. The challenge is: with the exception of the first words and the last words, all the middle words are different every night. Usually my Dad had me in hysterics due to his silly words that he'd pop in there as he stretched for ideas to sing about. So I asked Amara "What's next?" when I finished the first part. She said, "I yub your pink toenails!"
Good ol' Dad. OK... that's a tradition I can continue. But it sounds better from him.
Monday, July 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a sweet story Sarah, and what wonderful memories and traditions for your kids to take with them throughout life. What a rich life you and your family are giving them!
Post a Comment