Jon and I decided that the best time to get in a workout would be immediately following dinner while the kids are still awake and wanting to play. Often, that time between dinner and bed became the "sit in front of the TV and veg" time, which was totally unproductive.
So for the last two nights, we've "exercised" our new theory. Jon has been in the weight room, and I've been in the TV room, where I've discovered that On Demand has multiple choices of aerobics, kickboxing, yoga, pilates, etc.
Last night I discovered that there's a Denise Austin "Fit Family" workout that's 20 minutes long. Considering how desperately out of shape I am, I thought this was a good starting point. I also thought that with it being family focused, perhaps Amara and Dominic would also show some interest.
I was right! Perhaps not 20 minutes worth right... but they did join me. In fact, when it was over, Amara asked to watch it again!
Amara especially got into it. She'd try the different moves. When it was partner moves with the ball or situps, she'd go hunt down a ball (albeit, a much too large ball), so that we'd do the exercise correctly. I really love to see her getting active, because she tends to be a bit more like me -- on the lazy side! (Though admittedly, that's of my own doing, not hers.) She also would go into the weight room and do exercises with Jon -- she particularly likes the eliptical machine. She calls it "practice" instead of working out. Maybe if I look at it that way it would be less painful for me, too! :)
Dominic also enjoyed getting in on the action. He participated mostly with the sit-ups. He'd get in the appropriate arms behind the head pose and do his best not to let the heaviness of his head get the best of him as he tried to lay back down. There was another set of ab exercises where you put your hands under the couch and try to raise your feet straight into the air (your body is bent at a right angle at the hips). He put his feet straight up in the air, just like mine, and did his version of that exercise as well.
Despite not having perfect execution, we're pretty excited to see the kids enjoying the work outs -- or playing when they're tired of the exercise. We've also had 2 nights of sleeping through the night (both of them) -- which hasn't happened consistently since we've moved down here.
Maybe we're onto something! And we'll all be the better for it!
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment