Saturday, January 31, 2009

Yes, Dear...

Now where the kids get some of the things they say, I will just never know. Last night, the kids were playing "Mom and Dad" -- and they just kept calling me "dear." As with others I've mentioned in the past, "Dear" is a term of endearment that Jon and I absolutely NEVER use. In fact, it's one that kind of makes my neck hairs stand on end when people I've never met call me dear. I don't have a good reason, I just don't like that word when addressing someone.

Yet, here were the kids, "Dear"ing me to death!

They were very focused on doing my hair. I think Amara just seeks revenge on me in these times. Her hair was more snarled earlier this week than I've ever seen it. It was so knotted that she was literally choking, she was crying so hard. I felt terrible, but I was being as gentle as I could. Once I got through it, it instantly went into french braids.

So the way the kids do my hair is how Amara feels that I do hers -- pulling every which a way, holding it ridiculously tight, yanking and twisting my head in ways I didn't think possible.

And what do you think they told me (yes, Dominic, too)...

"Sorry, dear... but you've got lots of tangles!"

No comments: