Thursday, January 15, 2009

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Oh my...

Amara's definitely at the age where she's repeating everything she sees and hears. This is not the part of parenting I've been looking forward to! Now granted, we try to keep things very much G rated in both what she sees and hears. Sometimes it's HOW she says it that leads people to giggling...

Last night when I picked up the kids, 3 of the teachers were in the lobby talking. I stopped to talk with them, which is always Amara's cue to tell stories. And she's FULL of stories. She's always got something to say... you can count on it!

So Amara says, "My Daddy is mean to my Mommy."

I stopped midsentence, because that's certainly not true, and I really didn't want the teachers believing that.

She elaborated, "My Daddy tickles my Mommy, and she doesn't like to be tickled."

OK, that much is true. So I added, "You're right, Mommy doesn't like to be tickled. But that doesn't mean Daddy is mean."

The teachers, meanwhile, are trying to stifle giggles.

Then Amara tops it off with, "My Daddy tickles my Mommy at night."

Oh... the teachers were bursting with laughter. Nevermind that Amara was 100% literal. As we're tucking the kids into bed, we often have a tickle-fest of sorts. Jon basically holds me down and the kids tickle me, egged on by Jon, who knows my most ticklish spots. So she really does mean that he tickles me at night.

But you know that's not where the minds of the teachers were going...

I just rolled my eyes and said, "Girl, we're leaving before you tell any more secrets!"

Oy...

2 comments:

Heather the Mama Duk said...

LOL That is too funny!

Anonymous said...

Haha, love it!