Monday, August 11, 2008

Sibling Rivalry

It's interesting to me to watch the kids "compete" over things. Being only 22 months apart, I'm sure that they'll go head-to-head many times throughout their lives. They both have very different strengths, so hopefully the "winning" will even out between the two of them.

This morning, it was Dominic's turn.

We were on the way to Day Care and the kids were thirsty for water. I only had one bottle in the car, so I insisted that the kids share. I gave it first to Amara, because she was the one who asked. I loosened the cap for her, so she could easily remove it.

She removed the cap, drank, put it back on, and dutifully handed it over to Dominic.

Dominic removed the cap, drank, put it back on, and handed it back to Amara. While Dominic was putting the cap back on, Amara was saying, "Not too tight."

Therein lies one of Dominic's strengths. He's ridiculously mechanical. He's been able to unscrew bottle caps (and put them back on) much earlier than he should have been able to. The kids' old daycare made a shaker bottle full of glitter and beads and didn't seal the top (just screwed it on tightly), and I knew that we'd be in trouble once Dominic realized that!

Anyway... as Amara's crying because she can't get the cap off, Dominic's in his seat laughing hysterically and saying, "I wock it!" (I locked it.) His laughing, of course, makes her cry even harder.

So I help Amara out and loosen the cap once again. She again drinks and shares it with Dominic. Then Dominic starts to be a tease and looks over at Amara with a very devilish grin and continues to say, "I wock it.... I wock it..." in that sing-song teasing voice we all know so well. And of course, Amara's in her seat crying and pleading for him not to "lock" it.

When I take it away, loosen it, and scold Dominic for teasing his sister, of course he melts into a puddle of tears and wails.... just as my Mom picked up the phone for a question I had called her about. Perfect timing. I'm sure it sounded like the kids were hurt or something. Nope... just a bit of sibling rivalry.

No comments: