Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Four-Year-Old Theology

I wish I could remember this more specifically, but since we were in the car, I couldn't write it all down.

Monday night, we were driving home. Amara started talking about "being close to God." Then she said, "It makes God sad when we aren't close to Him." I let her carry on a bit to see where her mind went. I'm not even going to pretend that she understands everything she's saying, but I'm happy to report that she wasn't too far off in "repeating" what she's been taught. And her four-year-old theology is dead on with her statement that God is sad when we're not close to Him.

It was fun to have the opportunity to teach her how to stay close to God so that we don't make Him sad. Jon even got to add that one way to make God happy is to listen to your parents. :)

This is one of the most exciting, yet most scary parts of being a parent. Their little minds are SO moldable. This [the saving message of Jesus Christ] is the best and most important information we can teach the kids -- and there are so many other sources teaching other things counter-productive to that message. I pray that God will give me the words and ability to capitalize on every teachable moment that presents itself... and the wisdom to create more teachable moments. And the protection for the kids to be shielded somewhat from the outside forces until they have the wisdom and words to speak out against them. May the lessons of Jesus Christ take root in the kids. May our little family be God's light in the world.

1 comment:

Heather the Mama Duk said...

That is wonderful. And, yes, scary to be the parents!