Sunday, July 24, 2011

Funny Stuff...

More catching up. More funny kids.


4/11:
(Amara, a Kindergartener) Mom, a cube has 6 sides and 8 vertices.”
Yeah… had to look that one up. Those classes were ages ago!

4/16:
We’re playing the alphabet game with road signs looking for the letter Z. Amara said, ‘Z’s hard. Let’s just find a zucchini store!”
Um… yeah… a Z might be easier to find.

4/22:
(A) Mama, do whales have teeth?
(S) Yep.
(A) But do they mostly look like ropes that have been untangled?
(S) Um… I guess so.

I thought it was odd and random….then I looked up and saw they were watching Nemo and they’re stuck in the whale – and sure enough – the teeth look like ropes that have been untangled.

4/29:
We’re playing a “passing time” game. Amara told us to name all the heroes in the world. Dominic answered, “Jesus. God. Ironman…”

4/29:
(D) I now know who Justin Beaver is. And he’s a human.
(A) Did you think he was fiction?
(D) No. I thought he was a beaver!

4/30:
(A) I’m thinking of something that has 2 wheels.
(S) Motorcycle.
(A) Nope.
(S) Bike.
(A) Nope.
(D) Then  it must be a haystack! (that was yesterday).
Today, D says, “I’m thinking of something with 4 wheels.”
(S) A haystack!”
(D) No! That has 2 wheels!
I’m thoroughly confused.

5/4:
According to Amara’s mommy / daddy tribute books, I’m 70lbs, 2ft tall, Jon’s 60lbs, 6ft tall, and I’m best at making cookies. She must not think much of my cooking, because I never make cookies.  Her Teacher’s Aide did pull me to the side and told me Amara’s her favorite – and that it’s a no-no to admit, but she didn’t care.

5/9:
You know your kids are growing up when they’re watching cartoons, they’re told to ‘use your binoculars” and mime the action, I prod them to use their binoculars, and they say, “I can see just fine, mom.”

5/11:
(D) I’m going to be a firefighter.
(A) I thought you were going to be a dolphin trainer.
(S) You could probably do both.
(D) Yeah, I’ll do both!
(A) But what will you do first?
(D) Hmmm… that’s a good question. I don’t know.
(A) Well, you can decide when you grow up.
(D) Nope. I’ll decide today.
Gotta love a decisive kid.

5/11:
A justin Bieber promo just came on. D excitedly asked, “Is THAT Justin Bieber?!” I said, “Yep, see, he’s not a beaver.” He said, “Yep, that proves it!”

5/11:
I took Amara to the doc today; Spongebob was on in the lobby while we waited (he’s banned at our house). The doc we saw, I didn’t care for. As I complained about her to Jon following the visit, the kids listened. When I hung up, Amara asked why I didn’t like the doc. I told her, “She treated me like I didn’t take good care of my kids, was stupid, and she rolled her eyes all the time.”
Amara’s response: “She must watch Spongebob.”

5/16:
Amara began a joke with “What’s Spongebob’s favorite song? …oh, I can’t tell you, those are bad words.” I asked what they were and where she heard them. “The H word, S word, and D word.” Choking back sobs so strong I could barely understand her, I finally learned the words are HATE, STUPID, and DIE. Lord, please protect her innocence.

5/24:
(A) Mama, who will I marry?
(S) I don’t know.
(A) I don’t know either, because there aren’t that many special boys around.

5/28:
Dominic has chosen to clean the kitchen rather than go to bed. I’ll take that trade….

6/9:
Amara had the opportunity today to sing on the school’s TV broadcast; a completely random opportunity that was a result from a fire drill happening during a talent show. The song she chose to sing…. “Away in a Manger.”
Completely the right song choice for June….

6/10:
Started the day by dropping Amara off to her last day of Kindergarten. I then ran home while Jon dropped off D. I walked ½ block to warm up and apparently Dominic wasn’t happy. He rolled down his window and shouted, “RUN mommy… RUN!!!”

6/13:
Talking about D’s birthday present:
(J) I’ll give you a hint. It’s bigger than a breadbox.
(S) Do you even know what a breadbox is?
(D) Yeah! Just kidding. No.
(A) I do! I know what a Redbox is.
Clearly a new generation.

6/17:
Dominic wants to know how many seconds until his birthday. The answer: 605,800.

6/19:
From Dominic: “Amara, when you die… can I play it?” Boy did that sentence start out strange. Glad they were talking about games on Jon’s phone.

6/23:
From Amara about Dominic, “We should put him in a cage when we go places.”

6/23:
Amara made the sweetest birthday card for Dominic. “Hello birthday boy! How old are you? I’m _______. Here’s a guessing game for you! How old is daddy? _____ great! Now how old is mommy? ______ How old am I? ______ This card shows how much I love you. I have a song for you! Starting now! Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. You act like a monkey and you’re silly and crazy too. Love Amara.” And then she made him a “Brother Award.”

6/25:
Like father like son… we were in the Rack looking for Jordan’s to buy with Dominic’s birthday money. They didn’t have any, and he said, “Aw man! I was gonna buy 8 pairs!”

6/29:
Dominic’s favorite animal is a dolphin. He happened to see some on TV and excitedly announced, “A bottle-capped dolphin!” Close buddy….

7/1:
The kids, Grandma, and I spent the morning shoveling a pile of dirt into a wheelbarrow and filling the low ground on their property. Amara said, “Mom, I’ve decided I don’t want to be a farmer when I grow up. This work is too hard!”

7/3:
On Thursday we went to the church and Dominic sang, “God Bless the USA” for the music director. Today they sang it in church. Dominic said, “Mommy, I’m so happy Pastor Joel sang the song I taught him!”
May you never lose that confidence!

7/7:
Dominic’s quote for the day: “Daddy…. I was thinking…. You really look a lot like Grandpa.”
Funny how that works.

7/12:
Dominic was helping Grandma wrap the vacuum cord… his favorite chore. She said, “Is that something you help mom and dad with at home?” Dominic answered, “No, they don’t really vacuum anymore.”
The truth hurts….

7/17:
Amara: “Mommy, this is how boys show they like you.”
Then she pretended to lick her hand and slick back her hair.

7/23:
Because we’re in the process of moving out of the apartment, we’re significantly lacking the food department. The ONLY option we really have is mac and cheese. I literally had to bribe them to eat it – my kids hate everything that “normal” kids like. Amara approved the meal so long as I added ham to it.

7/24:
Amara: “Mom, did you know my ponytail could be a paintbrush?”

No comments: