Friday afternoon was a gorgeous spring day. Summer house had begun for me at work, which meant I got to leave a bit early. I picked up the kids, loaded their bike and scooter in the car, and we hit the trails.
I had hoped both kids wanted to ride bike, but Amara insisted upon taking her scooter.
Unfortunately, she hasn't quite mastered the scooter, which meant that she couldn't keep up with Dominic on his bike. So she opted instead to run. And yes, that meant that I got to carry the scooter around the 1.8 mile loop.
And run she did.
Amara has never really enjoyed running. Even when we walk a long distance, she quickly tires and wants to be carried. So when she ran and ran and ran, I was quite impressed. For a while, she ran far ahead of Dominic and me. She'd run, then turn to check on our progress. When we got near, she'd turn and run some more.
About halfway around, she got tired and we walked a bit. Dominic took advantage and rode ahead. A LONG way ahead. So far ahead that he couldn't hear me shouting at him to stop and come back.
Unfortunately, that meant I had to urge Amara to run some more. Since I was already carrying the scooter, I couldn't carry her as well. So we ran and ran and ran some more. Poor girl was tuckered out!
When all was said and done, my little non-runner ran at least a mile of the loop. I was so impressed and proud of her!
We finished up and she said to me, "I wore myself out so I can be healthy." Absolutely, kiddo! And keep it up and you won't be so worn out! But way to stick with it!
On Saturday night we were out to eat pizza with friends and Amara asked me, "Mom, next time we go to Uncle Greg's, can I run a half marathon with you?"
Wow.
Let's start with a mile.
Sunday, March 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment