Sunday, December 9, 2007

Kids' "Camping" Weekend

This weekend, Jon and I left the kids with friends while we went house hunting (we got it!). These are two stories my friend, Kendra, shared with me about this weekend:

DOMINIC:
On Friday night, our friends had a neighborhood Christmas party to go to. Kids were invited as well, and ours were included in the festivities. Kendra was sure that they would be OK, as the host's child was 3 -- therefore, lots of age-appropriate toys.

Dominic went into the house, saw all the toys... and played on the stairs all night. That boy -- stairs and doors keep him better occupied than all the toys in the world!

Kendra also said that I may have to keep my eye on him -- all her neighbors want to kidnap him, because he's so cute, smiling and saying "Thank you" all night! Atta'boy.

AMARA:
Amara begged all week to go "camping" at "O" and "G's" house. She got the special privelege of camping in "O's" room -- she's 8(?) and Amara has always really looked up to her. "O" painted Amara's fingernails, played dress-up with her, and just took care of her in general -- Amara had a great time.

Sunday afternoon, Amara was sitting in a chair next to Kendra, and she told Kendra, "You are a nice family." She's big into the whole "family" thing right now, which is really sweet to hear. But what a great thing to hear about your child -- that she recognizes that in other families.

Also on Sunday afternoon, Kendra asked if Amara wanted to talk to me on the phone. They were watching a movie on TV. I haven't seen her in 4 days, and she said, "No thank you." Gee thanks, kiddo! At the same time, any time I'm not with her and she's confident and comfortable and happy enough to NOT need to speak to me -- I am grateful! God planted us in a place with no extended family, and we've had to count on friends. I'm so thankful He's also given us amazing friends to help us through!

No comments: