Saturday, July 3, 2010

Happiness

Today is a work day, as we are preparing for company tomorrow. The kids are typically pretty helpful, but understandably get tired of it after a full day.

I went to the basement for a coloring break with the kids, who were half cleaning, half playing in the coloring room. We colored a bit, then when we were done, I asked D if he wanted to help me fold laundry.

Dominic responded in his "excited" voice, which is airy and about an octave higher than his normal voice. He said, "yeah, sure!" and he took off up the stairs, racing me to the top.

As I brought the basket to the couch, he made some other excited remark. I laughed and asked, "Dominic, why are you such a happy boy?"

It was a rhetorical question, and I really wasn't expecting an answer. But he answered.

"Because I like to be happy," was his immediate response.

It's truly both as simple and as profound as that.

With a few exceptions (ie depression, etc), I truly believe happiness is a choice. And I also believe that most people prefer happiness to the alternative.

Thanks for the words of wisdom, happy, sweet, 4-year-old.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: